The curriculum at Frederick Holmes School is based on the needs of young people. The school caters for pupils aged from 2 to 19 years with severe physical disabilities. Many of the pupils have associated and/or additional learning delay and many have moderate to severe communication disorders. An increasing number of pupils attending Frederick Holmes School have a profile of significant and/or complex learning needs (pupils who fall into the DfES description of Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties or ‘PMLD’). As a consequence curriculum access and communication (including augmentative and alternative communication systems) are core areas of the curriculum and are central to ensuring inclusion into effective learning.
The school has embraced Curriculum 2014 and learning plans reflect both national and local curriculum initiatives and strategies as well as the individual and collective learning needs of pupils. Through our curriculum we aim to:
- Provide a broad, balanced, individualised and supportive learning community through high quality learning opportunities and resources.
- Provide an environment which is stimulating, comfortable and safe, where pupils feel valued as individuals and classroom relationships are built on mutual understanding and respect.
- Promote independence skills, self advocacy and encourage personal responsibility.
- Provide access to effective systems for learning and communication which are embedded into everyday practice.
- Ensure that effective and rigorous systems of assessment, monitoring and recording are developed and maintained and that these are used effectively to track learner’s progress, to inform future learning and enable learners to achieve the best that they can.
- Promote pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and prepare all pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life.
- Develop active partnerships between the school and the community, parents and other schools so that everyone works together to ensure that each child’s holistic needs are fully met.
You can use the menu on the right of this page to explore the curriculum at Frederick Holmes School further.